Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$12 billion in 2012
Amway has a stated goal to do $12 billion in sales by 2012. In 2009 Amway sales were $8.4 billion, only slightly up on 2008. Amway's undergone a lot of changes the last few years, obviously with the hope of achieving this goal. While obviously some of them will take some time to have real $$$ effects, I'm curious to hear people's ideas on what Amway can do to boost sales a further $3.6 billion in the next 3 years.

Probably worth mentioning which Amway market you live/work in!
I think for ANY market - Corporate-sponsored television ads promoting the products and simply getting the name out there can help everyone!!
[U.S. Market]

Of course it's possible!

Amway controls a TINY fraction of the available markets it operates in, namely the core-products lines in health, beauty, fitness, home care, etc., so it's not even possible, it's a reasonable goal.

The catch?

Well, I do not agree with broad-advertising beyond where we are; the opportunity is there for those who take it.

I do not mind sharing with people carving-out their own piece of prosperity, but I am not too keen on sharing it with traditional business methods.

We have a job to do, and Amway WILL meet it's goals...as long as the folks responsible for promoting it do their job.

That would be IBOs, not traditional advertisement, and THAT'S the weak link.
I think the TV (and other) advertising is valuable, for more than one reason, none of which are to do with "traditional business methods" per se. Two reasons -

(1) Product Brand awareness - even in the United States I'd venture to suggest market research shows hardly anyone has heard of Artistry or Nutrilite. It's *much* easier to "sell" a product if someone has heard of it before

(2) Pride. Picture the IBO sitting on the sofa watching football with his friends. Imagine it in a country like Sweden, with Amway name recognition less than 15%. The IBOs been on the 'net and read the crap and been too scared to talk to his mates. An Amway ad comes up featuring Ronaldinho and promoting Nutrilite. What's the odds the IBO says nothing?

Anything that decreases the "I'm worried what my friends will think" roadblock is welcome.

Wearyeyed - what do you think the corp can do to help in your market?
ibofightback Wrote:Wearyeyed - what do you think the corp can do to help in your market?

If we were starting the Amway business from scratch, with just the core products, our marketing model would be offering people the opportunity to promote the brands (and products) via word-of-mouth and social networking.

We'd pay them for their effectiveness in the market, just as we would compensate one advertising/marketing firm over another based on efficacy.

I don't know how you can call any marketing strategy outside of that model anything other than "traditional".

Now, I am ALL for a significant investment in traditional marketing of the "Amway" name.

That's not a brand, per se, and it's not a product.

But, if the battle is to increase pride and decrease negative public perception, a campaign that champions all the good things Amway Corp. and it's affiliates do, with special emphasis on, "...with our team of employees and Independent Business Owners worldwide (who just might be your neighbor!)" would make my toes curl with joy.

The problem is not that we, as IBOs, can't convey good product, good value, or any of the tons of benefits the Amway system can provide.

The problem is that either people never heard of Amway and what it does, people heard of Amway and they think negatively, or they have heard of Amway and are part of it. Wink

A kick-butt commercial about Artistry on the Super Bowl is not gonna' make people think Amway is as good as it is, and it just takes away from the compensation Amway pays me to provide them a service.

Without adding anything to the mix I can't provide one-on-one with a customer, IMHO.

Promote Amway and it's teams of employees and IBOs, and show the world what that partnership has done.

THAT'S what I want to be a part of...not just pushing Glister to people who *might* be more receptive because Joe Namath said it keeps his teeth white...
ibofightback Wrote:Wearyeyed - what do you think the corp can do to help in your market?

Short answer?

Promote the guys an gals building dreams, businesses, communities, supporting causes, leading change, etc., etc., etc., (and it could be your neighbor!), with Amway as the flag under which they do it.

Leave educating people about the products to me.

:hello:
A good example is the U.S. Military ad campaigns.

They don't waste TOO much time on the details of all the tangible benefits they can provide to soldiers.

They build an impressive image of BEING a soldier.

We don't necessarily want Amway advertising in a way that causes the general public to just come running to Amway recruitment centers, but I am A-OKAY with Amway helping to build an image that being a representative of Amway is COOOOOL.

We start to get a level of "respect" (which we obviously have to KEEP), much in the same way a soldier gets our initial respect almost by default.

People want to be on that team, or at least associated with it...

Think about it, suits and ties rappelling from Blackhawk helicopters, spreading Democracy and free-enterprise, opportunity and freedom to the world; gunning down "the enemy" with well-placed, sighted and scoped tubes of Glister...

HOORAH!

Well, except for the gunning down part...
We're in agreement there. I did some storyboard ideas which I posted to the OpportunityZone blogs a couple of years back when they were talking about starting an advertising campaign. Unfortunately the post went missing in cyberspace :cry:

What I envisaged was a series of short vignettes focused on different ABOs, a little like the "I am Amway" employee focused ads during the Dick DeVos campaign. You could have for example the NASA rocket scientist emerald that Amway highlighted a while back -- have him voicing over video of his day, talking about his day job, and end with him saying something like "and I'm an Amway Independent Business Owner".

How about some guys sitting in a beautiful house in front of a huge TV watching the superbowl. One of them gets up to go to the kitchen to get some more beers (or XS!) and says "welcome to my house" ... and explains how back in 1974 he was a member of the undefeated Miami Dolphins ... and "My name is Tim Foley, I'm an Amway Independent Business Owner".

Jim Dornan, talking about being a young engineer and working for McDonnell Douglas and deciding to start his own business, leaning over the balcony of his house, panning to Eric playing wheelchair soccer with his mates ... "today, that business has allowed me to raise my son to his maximum potential, and help many others do the same. My name's Jim Dornan, I'm an Amway Independent Business Owner".

Weareyed, talking being a traditional business owner, and why he's pursuing another business ...

etc etc etc

Take a range of IBOs, from new ones to highly successful ones, brief 90 second vignettes that say "see, we're Amway IBOs and we're not weird!"
ibofightback Wrote:Take a range of IBOs, from new ones to highly successful ones, brief 90 second vignettes that say "see, we're Amway IBOs and we're not weird!"

"...and we could be your doctor, your lawyer, your teacher, or your neighbor!"

I also like the tag-line, "Amway - Take a Second Look, It's Not Like We Take Hostages"

Wifey thinks it's too wordy. Big Grin
ibofightback Wrote:What I envisaged was a series of short vignettes focused on different ABOs, a little like the "I am Amway" employee focused ads during the Dick DeVos campaign. You could have for example the NASA rocket scientist emerald that Amway highlighted a while back -- have him voicing over video of his day, talking about his day job, and end with him saying something like "and I'm an Amway Independent Business Owner".

How about some guys sitting in a beautiful house in front of a huge TV watching the superbowl. One of them gets up to go to the kitchen to get some more beers (or XS!) and says "welcome to my house" ... and explains how back in 1974 he was a member of the undefeated Miami Dolphins ... and "My name is Tim Foley, I'm an Amway Independent Business Owner".

Jim Dornan, talking about being a young engineer and working for McDonnell Douglas and deciding to start his own business, leaning over the balcony of his house, panning to Eric playing wheelchair soccer with his mates ... "today, that business has allowed me to raise my son to his maximum potential, and help many others do the same. My name's Jim Dornan, I'm an Amway Independent Business Owner".

Weareyed, talking being a traditional business owner, and why he's pursuing another business ...

etc etc etc

:good: