Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class action against Amway Canada
I've received a copy of the complaint against Amway Canada. Same old "everybody loses money and they promised us the world!!" complaint. Not a snowball's chance in hell of going anywhere, particularly given they seem unaware that Canada's own definition of a "participant in the scheme" for MLMs includes only people who are undertaking the activities necessary to build a business. The plaintiffs were IBOs from June 2008 to August 2009 and claim they lost over $15,000 in that time frame. Uhuh. Interestingly they also claim Amway Canada has no buy-back policy. Any Canadians here?
We did have a Canadian - remember his call sign was the flag - I think it was on your old site - maybe he is the on filing the suit - Big Grin Big Grin
'The only way I can succeed in business is to proactively do something for 'MY BUSINESS' every day'
I look to the Future - for the Future is where I'm going to spend the rest of my Life
I too thought to make big bucks through joining Amway but nothing much happened
michel-laws Wrote:I too thought to make big bucks through joining Amway but nothing much happened

Of that, I have no doubt.
Canada has a buy back policy.....Never had a problem returning anything.....Best customer service around
While you were watching tv or blogging someone YOU know got in Captain Amway's business.
Chased up to see if I can find any more info on this case. First, it appears that the plaintiffs never filed it as a class action, so it's going ahead as just Cheryl Rhodes & Kerry Murphy v. Compagnie . Amway of course tried to claim it should go to arbitration, plaintiffs claimed that it shouyldn't even be considered. Judge thought the request was just fine, hearings were in July. There's another hearing next week which may be that decision, so it may just go off to arbitration.

I note plaintiffs have called the usual suspects and submitted affidavits from Robert FitzPatrick and Bruce Craig.
I am also in Canada. There is never a problem returning anything. In fact this message was just posted last week.

Date Sent: August 01, 2010 - 10:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standardized fee for Amway Canada returns.

At Amway Global we pride ourselves on ensuring that your needs are met. IBOs and customers alike can be confident that we’ll do what it takes to make your experience one that exceeds your expectations – and that extends to our unparalleled 180-day satisfaction guarantee.

Sometimes what you get doesn’t meet your satisfaction. You are welcome to return the merchandise, by Canada Post, for a full refund or exchange. And thanks to our standardized return fee, nothing could be easier!

All returns are subject to a $3.95 processing fee (per invoice). Amway Global provides postage pre-paid return labels, which can be downloaded from the Web site and affixed to the box containing the returned item. Pre-paid postage means you don’t have to front the cost of shipping an item back to us. Just tape the downloadable label to the shipping container and that’s it! We’ll handle all charges. All you pay is $3.95 – and that includes all taxes and fees!

For returns valued at under $100, we encourage you to contact Customer Support prior to sending it back, as there may be other options available to be explored. You can reach us at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:customer.support.ca@amwayglobal.com">customer.support.ca@amwayglobal.com</a><!-- e --> or call 1-800-265-5470.

Think of it as making it easier to make your experience right.
chester Wrote:I am also in Canada. There is never a problem returning anything. In fact this message was just posted last week.

Date Sent: August 01, 2010 - 10:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standardized fee for Amway Canada returns.

At Amway Global we pride ourselves on ensuring that your needs are met. IBOs and customers alike can be confident that we’ll do what it takes to make your experience one that exceeds your expectations – and that extends to our unparalleled 180-day satisfaction guarantee.

Sometimes what you get doesn’t meet your satisfaction. You are welcome to return the merchandise, by Canada Post, for a full refund or exchange. And thanks to our standardized return fee, nothing could be easier!

All returns are subject to a $3.95 processing fee (per invoice). Amway Global provides postage pre-paid return labels, which can be downloaded from the Web site and affixed to the box containing the returned item. Pre-paid postage means you don’t have to front the cost of shipping an item back to us. Just tape the downloadable label to the shipping container and that’s it! We’ll handle all charges. All you pay is $3.95 – and that includes all taxes and fees!

For returns valued at under $100, we encourage you to contact Customer Support prior to sending it back, as there may be other options available to be explored. You can reach us at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:customer.support.ca@amwayglobal.com">customer.support.ca@amwayglobal.com</a><!-- e --> or call 1-800-265-5470.

Think of it as making it easier to make your experience right.

According to the complaint, this is Amway's buy back policy:

29. In addition, Defendants’ buy-back guarantee is not exercisable on
reasonable commercial terms contrary to section 55.1(d) of the CA, as it only
applies to “resigning IBOs”;

30. Moreover, the Defendants’ buy-back rule provides that distributors are
required to purchase back products from any of their personally registered
downline distributors who are resigning at a “mutually agreeable” price. This
conditional obligation does not comply with section 55.(1) d) of the CA.
As well,
this rule applies only between distributors and does not create any obligation for
the Defendants to buy back any product;

This sounds more like the bsm return policy than Amway's. I have never heard of an Amway distributor being forced to buy back product from downline at a mutually agreeable price.

Could they be confusing the BSM return policy with Amway's? (No AMO is listed as a defendant btw)
MichMan Wrote:Could they be confusing the BSM return policy with Amway's? (No AMO is listed as a defendant btw)

good catch, that does sound a bit like the BSM return policy, though did it ever have a "resigning only" clause?

The lawsuit all sounds very unprofessional, they even got what appears to be a smack from the court because they filed the case, Amway responded, and then they never followed through. The court commented on the failure to register the class action and they said it will happen in June (2010), the court was, correctly apparently, skeptical.

It reminds of a legal situation I've got some peripheral involvement in at the moment (nothing to do with Amway). The other party is making some claims that from my research don't check out at all. I checked the credentials of the lawyer representing the "other side" and ends up he's not even a lawyer - he's a law student working as an intern at an internet legal advice service! :glare:

People waste so much money on this stuff.
And $15,000 loss over 15 months, divided by 3 people? And the "losses" include what they paid for products?

That means they each spent $300 per month "building" their business, which includes the money they spent on products that month. Confusedcratch:

Jeez. Show me a REAL loss. Many people, especially those steeped the heavy handed AMO-BSM culture, have several thousand dollar losses each year per person.

If someone was showing the plan regularly, their mileage deduction alone is going to be MUCH higher than $300 per month.

None of this makes sense.

If the judge simply takes out the money they spent on products over that period, did they even have a loss? Did they actually do ANYTHING to build the business?