Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Staying Awake
A few days ago at a leadership meeting my up-line Diamond was telling some old war stories about when he used to show the plan all over Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio while keeping a full time day job. This required some very late night driving, and most of the time he was listening to business tapes. He said that he often crossed a threshold where even the most "fired up" tape (such as "Oh Harry" for example), with the volume cranked up, couldn't keep him awake enough to drive. That's the point when he put in his Led Zeppelin, and was able to make it home. He said that one time he asked his up-line mentor, a successful research chemist and IBO, how he stayed awake on the road. His response: Led Zeppelin. This was confirmation to my Diamond that it's okay to try to maintain balance in life and listen to something else besides Amway tapes.

Since last spring I've been doing some moonlighting at another bakery, which required me to get up almost three hours earlier than I had to for my full time baking job. Most of the time was spent driving around town in my car, making pastry deliveries in the early morning. I needed something more than business CDs too, because I was often so tired I was practically in pain. My solution: I discovered Celtic punk rock. I've been a long-time fan of traditional Irish and Scottish music, so this was a natural progression. My favorite band for the last several months is the Dropkick Murphys, an Irish American punk band from Boston. The majority of their songs are about fighting.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-64CaD8GXw[/youtube]

The Dropkick Murphys incorporate a lot of folk music into their repertoire. "Shipping Up to Boston" is a poem by Woody Guthrie that they set to original music.

What tools do you use to stay awake?
Besides a good nap beforehand???

Diet Coke and Red Licorice; and some upbeat music that I can hum along to. Showing what an old fart I am: Jimmy Buffet/Don Henley/Tom Petty....
Deb Wrote:Besides a good nap beforehand???

Dr. Nick Hall, who has some audio programs out with Nightingale Conant, says that you can try creating multiple mornings throughout the day, until you eventually burn out. He suggests taking a nap and setting an alarm clock. Then when you get up, go through your usual morning routine: brush your teeth, make coffee, have breakfast, etc. This routine fools the body in thinking that it's morning, providing a temporary surge in energy that you can use to get more stuff done. I used to do this years ago when I started work at 4:00 AM. I was still a young lad and refused to give up my nightlife. Therefore, when I got home from work, I showered and immediately when to bed and slept for a couple of hours. Then I got up, made coffee and toast, and planned my evening. Then I'd go to bed at around 11 PM or so, and get up at 3:00 AM. It worked back then. However, sometimes I would sleep too long after work, then I would look at the clock which read 6 or 7. I would freak out thinking that it was 6:00 AM, and I was late for work, but it was actually 6:00 PM. Long naps can make you disoriented.

My whole life I've always had sleep issues. Sometimes I go through phases when I worry a lot, and cannot turn my mind off to go to sleep. Problems loom large and menacing in the depth of the night. Then during the light of day, things don't usually seem as bad, and I wonder why I make myself suffer. At other times I can go for a year and have no problems getting enough sleep. By the way, I quit the morning job this week, so I can sleep in now.
Unfortunately, as you grow older, your biological clock isn't so easily "set"?? I will wake up at 8 AM no matter WHAT time I go to bed.

And a note to all those IBOs who might be driving to or from functions, in sleep-deprived mode: they say it's just as dangerous as driving drunk :eek:

Soon, we'll be driving to Florida for a wedding, and will do about 600 miles (900 km) per day for a couple of days. I have no trouble staying awake as long as it's my normal "awake hours" - but by 11 PM, we'll pull of the road to sleep, even if it's a WalMart lot Blush (I should probably add that we'll be taking our motorhome....LOL!! Don't want anyone having visuals of us poor vagabonds sleeping in the seats of the car.... :rotfl: )

Deb
Hi AJ - anything goes - nice to see you out of retirement :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
'The only way I can succeed in business is to proactively do something for 'MY BUSINESS' every day'
I look to the Future - for the Future is where I'm going to spend the rest of my Life
Deb,

If you guys are driving down I-65 in Indiana, and get to the Seymour, IN (Hwy 50) exit; you are about 15 minutes from my hometown. There is a Super Walmart there (West on Hwy 50) about 5 minutes from the exit.

Dwight
Deb Wrote:Diet Coke and Red Licorice; and some upbeat music that I can hum along to. Showing what an old fart I am: Jimmy Buffet/Don Henley/Tom Petty....

Tom Petty's "Wildflowers" album is gorgeous, a classic. I know lots of kids in their twenties who love music from the 1970's.

RW1, I give up. I'm not going to try to refrain from visiting you guys anymore. I'll just try to keep it light-hearted, and not say anything too dumb.
I'm sorry, but Tom Petty and Jimmy Buffet........SNOOOOOOOZERS!! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............ Confusedleep: Confusedleep: Confusedleep:
Remember...it is about staying awake...not reminiscing when you were in college smoking a fatty, laaaaiiidd Baaack..with you mind on your money and your money on your mind (or lack of).

This will keep you awake!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iERLtsBIqDg[/youtube]

YEA!!! That is what I am talking about!!

Or that good old George Bush montage.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSEmuCWaiQE[/youtube]

Or if that is too hard for you...you can use this!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuybeFoHj_g[/youtube]
It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things. --Roosevelt
Dwight David Wrote:Deb,

If you guys are driving down I-65 in Indiana, and get to the Seymour, IN (Hwy 50) exit; you are about 15 minutes from my hometown. There is a Super Walmart there (West on Hwy 50) about 5 minutes from the exit.

Dwight

Thanks - but we're hardcore travelers and will try to hit S of Cinci the first night - kind of aiming for Dry Ridge, KY. The wedding is beachfront in New Smyrna Beach (Shark Bite Capital of the World) - so we're headed to the E side of the state. I WON'T be swimming.

To you headbangers: the idea is to be awake enough to sing along with the music Tongue I don't know all the lyrics to Metallica's songs - but I DO know the lyrics to "Why Don't We Get Drunk And um....you know...." :yahoo:
In regards to heavy metal, I would say that Metallica has some of the easiest (most understandable) lyrics to sing along with. I bet I could still sing every word of Enter Sandman. LOL