Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nobel Peace Prize
Anyone else find it curious that President Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize? I heard that by the time nominations had to be submitted Obama was in the President's office for less than two months! Wasn't there other nominees who have been working in the "trenches", putting their lives in danger to support the oppressed peoples of the world--in China, Afghanistan, and Africa, for example? Does the committee in Norway consider the award as some kind of down-payment on Obama's future endeavors to support world peace? It's ironic that on the same day Obama received news of the Peace Prize, he was consulting with his team about a possible troop surge in Afghanistan. Was the award based more on what Obama has said versus what he has done? I'm thinking that it Obama should have turned the award down.

Anyways, Obama doesn't get any respect from the people on my business support team. That's quite a contrast with the respect that he has globally.

EDIT: The above statement isn't based on an opinion poll, just a feeling I get based on listening to what people are saying, mostly after meetings and in restaurants. It wasn't really necessary to include it; I was just trying to tie the thread to Amway, but it really has absolutely nothing to do with Amway at all.
ajgannon Wrote:Anyone else find it curious that President Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize? I heard that by the time nominations had to be submitted Obama was in the President's office for less than two months! Wasn't there other nominees who have been working in the "trenches", putting their lives in danger to support the oppressed peoples of the world--in China, Afghanistan, and Africa, for example? Does the committee in Norway consider the award as some kind of down-payment on Obama's future endeavors to support world peace? It's ironic that on the same day Obama received news of the Peace Prize, he was consulting with his team about a possible troop surge in Afghanistan. Was the award based more on what Obama has said versus what he has done? I'm thinking that it Obama should have turned the award down.

Anyways, Obama doesn't get any respect from the people on my business support team. That's quite a contrast with the respect that he has globally.

Hi AJ - thought you were on 'holidays' - More power to your President - he didn't ask for it - so you should all rejoice in the award - as he said it is a reward for the country - :yahoo: :yahoo:
'The only way I can succeed in business is to proactively do something for 'MY BUSINESS' every day'
I look to the Future - for the Future is where I'm going to spend the rest of my Life
Curious, but I think there's some logic behind it.

Why Obama won the nobel peace prize
The award was curious indeed.

Imagine someone being nominated for "IBO of the Year" after only 11 days in the business! Then imagine that the DeVos and Van Andel families choose that person months later as the recipient of the prize, gives him a huge cash award, puts him on the cover of Achieve magazine and enshrines him on the walls of Ada with all of the Crown Ambassadors. I think everyone in the entire world of Amway would be scratching their head.

My thought about Obama's victory is sure, let Americans do an endzone dance because "we" won the prize.

Next let's help the president earn the Nobel Peace Prize. Keeping nukes from N Korea and Iran (and Venezuela) would be a great start.
If some person joined Amway and in doing so completely changed the entire world's perception of Amway for the positive, I'd vote them for an award!

There seem to be an awful lot of people who have forgetten the Nobel committe has often bestowed the award more as a statement than anything else. Heck, it happened just 2 years ago with the award to the IPCC and Al Gore - they haven't stopped climate change (which will quite possibly lead to substantial conflict) but they did get the world to sit up and look. Or how about 18 years ago, in 1991 when Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma won it. What has she actually achieved? Burma is still a military dictatorship - but she got people talking about it and aware of it.

Just by getting elected President (and is that not an achievement????) he has completely changed the dynamics of world politics.
MichMan Wrote:Next let's help the president earn the Nobel Peace Prize. Keeping nukes from N Korea and Iran (and Venezuela) would be a great start.

Why no concern about Israel which, unlike say Iran, has invaded other countries in recent history and, unlike say Iran, has explicitly threatened another country with unprovoked attack.
Israel is continually provoked. Fortunately, they have shown restraint. It is surrounded by Muslim nations whose stated desire is to drive Jews into the sea. The only thing that has kept that from happening is the fact that Israel has the bomb.
RW1 Wrote:Hi AJ - thought you were on 'holidays' - More power to your President - he didn't ask for it - so you should all rejoice in the award - as he said it is a reward for the country - :yahoo: :yahoo:

Hi RW1! I'm on holiday for real--I've got 10 days off from work at the bakeries. :yahoo:
From <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Peace_Prize">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Peace_Prize</a><!-- m -->

Unlike the scientific and literary Nobel Prizes, usually issued in retrospect, often two or three decades after the awarded achievement, the Peace Prize has been awarded for more recent or immediate achievements. Some commentators[15] have suggested that to award a peace prize on the basis of unquantifiable contemporary opinion is unjust or possibly erroneous, especially as many of the judges cannot themselves be said to be impartial observers.

The awards given to Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Shimon Peres, Yitzhak Rabin, Yasser Arafat, Lê Ðức Thọ,[16] Henry Kissinger,[16] Mikhail Gorbachev, Jimmy Carter[17] and Barack Obama[18][19][20] have been much-debated. The Kissinger-Thọ award prompted two dissenting Committee members to resign.[21]

Omission
Another criticism of the peace-prize are the notable omissions, namely the failure to award individuals with widely recognized contributions to peace. Foreign Policy magazine lists Mahatma Gandhi, Eleanor Roosevelt, Václav Havel, Ken Saro-Wiwa, Sari Nusseibeh, Corazon Aquino and Liu Xiaobo as people who "never won the prize, but should have".[22] Other notable omissions that have drawn criticism include Abdul Sattar Edhi,[23] Irena Sendler,[24] Pope John Paul II[25] and Dorothy Day[26]

The omission of the Gandhi has been particularly widely discussed, including in public statements by various members of the Nobel Committee.[27][28] The Committee has confirmed that Gandhi was nominated in 1937, 1938, 1939, 1947 and, finally, a few days before he was murdered in January 1948.[29] The omission has been publicly regretted by later members of the Nobel Committee.[27] In 1948, the year of Gandhi's death, the Nobel Committee declined to award a prize on the ground that "there was no suitable living candidate" that year. Later, when the Dalai Lama was awarded the Peace Prize in 1989, the chairman of the committee said that this was "in part a tribute to the memory of Mahatma Gandhi".[30]
I remember reading a quip in a Book of the Month about Alfred Nobel.

Nobel's brother had just died. And he woke the next morning to read his own obituary in the newspaper. The obituary stated that he made his fortune from different tools of war, including dynomite, one of his own inventions. The story claims that Nobel did not want to be remembered for war, but for peace. And it was that reporter's mistake that spurred him to start the Peace Prize.