Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ingredients @ Nutrilite
Question 
Hi!

I need some help here because the usual channels have failed.

Basically the thing is that the Nutrilite products in the Indian market have (quite a few) different (as in synthetics) ingredients compared to the US, UK and Australian products.

1. All the tablets use hydrogenated cottonseed oil instead of carnuba wax.
Of course the hydrogenated fat intake would be ~200mg max, but still any particular reason because both are natural and vegan (latter is preferred in India).

2. Daily and Cal Mag D has Vitamin D2 instead of Vitamin D3.
Latter has better bio-availability/ assimilation.

3. Daily and Cal Mag D have dl-alpha tocopherol (synthetic) Vitamin E instead of d-alpha tocopherol.
Again former has only ~50% bio-avalibility and almost all medical/ research folks advice against taking this form of Vit. E.

I've gone through the Indian pharmaceutical and food supplement regulatory guidelines but found nothing contradictory.

BTW, had tried to contact Nutrilite but their website's contact form doesn't work. Had also emailed Amway but haven't received any response so far. I don't have any FB/ Twitter accounts so haven't brought this up on Nutilite's FB/ Twitter pages yet.
"Say Yes 2 Your Potential"
(2015-03-13, 02:52 PM)sy2yp Wrote: Hi!

I need some help here because the usual channels have failed.

Basically the thing is that the Nutrilite products in the Indian market have (quite a few) different (as in synthetics) ingredients compared to the US, UK and Australian products.

1. All the tablets use hydrogenated cottonseed oil instead of carnuba wax.
Of course the hydrogenated fat intake would be ~200mg max, but still any particular reason because both are natural and vegan (latter is preferred in India).

Probably simply sourcing. Carnauba wax I think primarily comes from Brazil. Are they contract manufacturing this in India?

Quote:2. Daily and Cal Mag D has Vitamin D2 instead of Vitamin D3.
Latter has better bio-availability/ assimilation.

d3 is not vegan (primarily comes from sheep wool) so this may have been a concern?

Quote:3. Daily and Cal Mag D have dl-alpha tocopherol (synthetic) Vitamin E instead of d-alpha tocopherol.
Again former has only ~50% bio-avalibility and almost all medical/ research folks advice against taking this form of Vit. E.

Hmmm, I wonder if it all may simply come down to cost and local suppliers? dl-alpha tocopherol is a lot cheaper, as is D2. Or could be local regulations. I spoke to a Nutrilite employee some years back and they said it's a nightmare with Nutrilite as every country has different laws. Even within the EU they have to formulate essentially the same product in 20 different ways for different countries.

Quote:I've gone through the Indian pharmaceutical and food supplement regulatory guidelines but found nothing contradictory.

BTW, had tried to contact Nutrilite but their website's contact form doesn't work. Had also emailed Amway but haven't received any response so far. I don't have any FB/ Twitter accounts so haven't brought this up on Nutilite's FB/ Twitter pages yet.

Facebook would be worth a try.
(2015-03-13, 06:42 PM)ibofightback Wrote: Probably simply sourcing. Carnauba wax I think primarily comes from Brazil. Are they contract manufacturing this in India?

Actually the cottonseed oil is being imported from the US. So are all the other ingredients for Nutrilite. They are imported in granulated form and tableting is done here.

And yes currently almost everything is being contract manufactured, Amway's own plant is ready, local production should start by May/ June (maybe newly launched All Plant Protein is being made there).

Quote:d3 is not vegan (primarily comes from sheep wool) so this may have been a concern?

I thought Nutrilite used the one which is produced from lichen.
D3-Lichen

Quote:Hmmm, I wonder if it all may simply come down to cost and local suppliers? dl-alpha tocopherol is a lot cheaper, as is D2. Or could be local regulations...
I spoke to a Nutrilite employee some years back and they said it's a nightmare with Nutrilite as every country has different laws.

Again 'd-alhpa tocopherol acetate' (Natutal Vit E) is produced and sold in India.
EDIT: Parslenium E in India contains d-alpha tocopherol succinate (Natutal Vit E).
Similarly D3 is available too. Other brands (domestic and imported) also have to follow the same regulations.

Besides, even factoring in the price difference for raw ingredient(s), the retail prices would rise by x% (single digit numerals) at most. This can not hurt sales - I am saying this because - the All Plant Protein has just been launched with a 20% higher retail price - owing to the different (healthier) ingredients.

IMO, Dr. Sam Rhenborg, Dr. Duke Johnson (i.e. basically Nutrilite itself) wouldn't go down the cheaper cost path.

PS: The main thing is that Nutrilite is heavily 'over sold' here, over promising being the normal scenario, corresponding health/ lifestyle modifications do not get their due importance (miracle pills anyone?).

Folks even go as far as calling the home and personal care ranges as 'organic' - I'm talking about on-stage presenters at Opens/BPs, BBS etc.

So this over promising (borderline false claims) and the ingredients ambiguity becomes an issue with new IBOs particularly who don't (and IMO quite legitimately shouldn't) believe everything at its face value.

I've been having Nutrilite since more than a decade and this is disconcerting to me - both as an IBO and a consumer.

PPS: Will create a FB a/c and ask them...
"Say Yes 2 Your Potential"
(2015-03-14, 11:22 AM)sy2yp Wrote: I thought Nutrilite used the one which is produced from lichen.

Where'd you hear that from? Hmmm ... looking at the Amway India site it looks like the one there is. I'm certain the one here wasn't, but that may also have changed, we don't always hear about formula changes - heck there was no D at all in Daily originally in Scandinavia, then one day I noticed there was.

Quote:Again 'd-alhpa tocopherol acetate' (Natutal Vit E) is produced and sold in India.
EDIT: Parslenium E in India contains d-alpha tocopherol succinate (Natutal Vit E).
Similarly D3 is available too. Other brands (domestic and imported) also have to follow the same regulations.

Just because they're supposed to doesn't mean they are. There's also a question of suppliers being able to reliably supply the volume necessary.

Quote:IMO, Dr. Sam Rhenborg, Dr. Duke Johnson (i.e. basically Nutrilite itself) wouldn't go down the cheaper cost path.

Except for the fact they apparently have, though why is up for question.

Quote:Folks even go as far as calling the home and personal care ranges as 'organic' - I'm talking about on-stage presenters at Opens/BPs, BBS etc.

Yeah, heard that here too. People don't understand what the word means - doesn't help that it means different things in different countries, and has changed over time!

Quote:So this over promising (borderline false claims) and the ingredients ambiguity becomes an issue with new IBOs particularly who don't (and IMO quite legitimately shouldn't) believe everything at its face value.

Agreed. I heard the false "Amway is debt free" claim again the other day too.

Quote:PPS: Will create a FB a/c and ask them...

hope you get a response!
(2015-03-17, 02:18 AM)ibofightback Wrote: Agreed. I heard the false "Amway is debt free" claim again the other day too.

Sorry to hijack but I have heard the debt free thing a number of times and don't know otherwise, so does this mean it isn't true? Where does this come from and what is the actual fact in this case? ie. What is the correct phrasing to use in this regard?
(2015-03-22, 11:51 AM)gogetter Wrote:
(2015-03-17, 02:18 AM)ibofightback Wrote: Agreed. I heard the false "Amway is debt free" claim again the other day too.

Sorry to hijack but I have heard the debt free thing a number of times and don't know otherwise, so does this mean it isn't true? Where does this come from and what is the actual fact in this case? ie. What is the correct phrasing to use in this regard?

Beth Dornan @ Amway addressed it on one of the Amway corporate blogs some years back, she said it simply wasn't true. It make sense for a global company like Amway not to leverage debt sometimes.

My guess is it may have been true once upon a time many many years ago and its just been repeated ever since.