Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amway Signs Letter To Congress Opposing Union Bill
You have summed it up pretty well.
One other critical piece is that the "card check" cards come from the union and are handled by the union, not a seperate organization, such at the NLRB who would conduct the actual secret vote. Therefore, the union can get cards to employees before the company even knows the union is trying to organize the employees, so the complaint that the employer would intimidate employees is usually not an issue for card signing. And, under the current rules there are already penalties for a company that is found to be intimidating employees, including having to accept the union without the vote.

The best way to avoid all this is for a company to take care of their employees as well as Amway does. I have been with a few different companies that unions would love to have organized, but the companies took such good care of their employees that there was never reason for the employees to consider the union.
Classic example are the foreign automakers that set up shops here in the U.S.
It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things. --Roosevelt
In Canada, when employees are organizing Walmart threaten then when Walmart get certified for a union, they just close the store. Much easier than trying to work with the employees.
dreambig Wrote:they just close the store. Much easier than trying to work with the employees.

You got that right.

One of my best friends is a college professor. Her administrative staff is unionized.

Everytime she is on a deadline and wants to get a project done she is hit with the union card.... "Can you run down to the main office and get that?" "Sorry that is not in my job description." "But you don't have anything to do right now. Why don't you just get that for us?" "I don't feel comfortable with you asking me that question. I am calling the union rep and filing a complaint."

Then the union rep shows up and wastes an hour of everyone's time doing interviews and writing a report.
Just to be clear. Unions in this country have played a vital role in the safety and security of the work force and in some industries still may provide that service.

However, it seems far less about the "safety" but rather what they can "get" from the company.

Nissan and Toyota do very similar things to WalMart. They will come in and basically build up an entire community, but if they organize a union, they will simply shut down.
It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things. --Roosevelt
greed and hunger for power cause problems whether it's in corporate leadership or union leadership.