Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Board
Well, I gotta say I'm pretty impressed! Was less than 27hrs ago I killed the TTAA forums, and here we are up and running with 30 members already registered and more than 100 posts! :yahoo:

Makes me realise how much folk have been using these forums! Cool
Three cheears for IBOFB !!!

Hip, Hip, Hooray !!! :good: :yahoo: :thumbsup:

I gotta take my hat off to you IBOFB, :hello: , you've done a great job ! :clap:

Love the new Similies too ! :rotfl:

- Ros
I thought you'd like the new icons Smile ... now just to find a "hug" smilie, since it was requested earlier .... :write:
Wow, yeah talk about your smilies! lol
Ros Wrote:Love the new Similes too !

Ros,

Typo Nazi says, "Is a smiley a simile when used in a post to compare a concept or emotion sarcastically or ironically?"

Granted, I am easily amused, but that was as funny as a dancing banana.

:bananas:

Thanks for the smile(y).
Wearyeyed Wrote:
Ros Wrote:Love the new Similes too !

Ros,

Typo Nazi says, "Is a smiley a simile when used in a post to compare a concept or emotion sarcastically or ironically?"

Granted, I am easily amused, but that was as funny as a dancing banana.

:bananas:

Thanks for the smile(y).

Wearyeyed,

Not knowing from whence you were speaking or the true meaning of your words, I must ask of you the following...

Were your words meant to be taken literal, or were you yourself speaking sarcastic or ironic ...when you penned them?

Least you feel I was speaking irreverent of your carefully chosen words, perhaps to better clarify my question to you I should have ended that last sentence “…when you wrote them?” or perhaps “…when you typed them?”

However, in asking this question in this manner I realize I am assuming you had typed it on your computer, but perhaps you didn’t type it at all. You may have spoken it into existence through a speech to text program which converted your spoken words into printed text (which ironically aren’t actually printed until they are printed on paper), and if that being the case it would have been less wrong if I had wrote “…when you spoke them?”

Or perhaps I should have taken it literally to mean exactly as it was written in hopes of sensing the deeper meaning, if there was one.

There are plenty of utterances that are used to mean the opposite of what they literally say, and there's a lot to say about how this works. "I could care less" might be an example of this -- though I don't think so -- but its stress and pitch don't bear on the question. There's no such thing as sarcastic intonation. Not in English, anyhow, and I doubt that any other language has such a thing either. Nor is there sarcastic stress, sarcastic pitch, sarcastic voice quality or any other mode of speech production that means "what I'm saying now is the opposite of what I mean."

If the meaning of your words were to be taken literal, they would not be considered to be sarcastic or ironic but rather a well devised plot to overthrow cyberspace with you as their ruler thus controlling all that is written as well as the meaning of all.

You might assume my last sentence was sarcastic but not ironic. Perhaps it was meant literal or perhaps not. You decide, I’m too tired to continue - I'm going to bed.

Good night.

- Ros

[attachment=0]

Attached Files

.gif   Winnie the Pooh yawn.gif (Size: 11.13 KB / Downloads: 783)
IBOFB

Used the new board long enough to mentally have made the switch. My verdict is a great step in the right direction. Much more modern look, minimal functionality or usability has been lost, and love the new features such as posting stats.

Thanks for putting your time into this cause. These boards have been very therapeutic and helpful for myself as I try and sort the crud from the gold in my Amway journey so far.
Is it my imagination or does the forum's disclaimer get bigger every time I visit? I'm fearful the next time I stop by it'll explode in my face.
Ros Wrote:There are plenty of utterances that are used to mean the opposite of what they literally say, and there's a lot to say about how this works. "I could care less" might be an example of this -- though I don't think so -- but its stress and pitch don't bear on the question.

As one of my many areas for growth, this most often mis-used remark meant to express a complete lack of caring, but usually verbalized as the opposite, drives me crazy.

Fortunately for you, your awesome and dizzying wizardry with the English language has left me with enough doubt as to what you really meant to leave me devoid of any opinion, much less any remark beyond the previous.

Fortunately for me, I couldn't care less.

Still, you gave me the most wonderfully earned migraine.

Thanks!

:cheers:
Wearyeyed Wrote:
Ros Wrote:There are plenty of utterances that are used to mean the opposite of what they literally say, and there's a lot to say about how this works. "I could care less" might be an example of this -- though I don't think so -- but its stress and pitch don't bear on the question.

As one of my many areas for growth, this most often mis-used remark meant to express a complete lack of caring, but usually verbalized as the opposite, drives me crazy.

Fortunately for you, your awesome and dizzying wizardry with the English language has left me with enough doubt as to what you really meant to leave me devoid of any opinion, much less any remark beyond the previous.

Fortunately for me, I couldn't care less.

Still, you gave me the most wonderfully earned migraine.

Thanks!

:cheers:

We (mostly) in UK still use the "couldn't" care less option, though as we become more Americanised, this is changing relentlessly :nono: