Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Judgment Day" has to recalculated...to Oct. 21
Apparently the world has been "saved" by an error in math.... Rolleyes

(I would have added this to my previous thread, but I don't know how to edit the previous subject line.)

Preacher says world will actually end in October.

OAKLAND, Calif. – A California preacher who foretold of the world's end only to see the appointed day pass with no extraordinarily cataclysmic event has revised his apocalyptic prophecy, saying he was off by five months and the Earth actually will be obliterated on Oct. 21.

Harold Camping, who predicted that 200 million Christians would be taken to heaven Saturday before catastrophe struck the planet, apologized Monday evening for not having the dates "worked out as accurately as I could have."

He spoke to the media at the Oakland headquarters of his Family Radio International, which spent millions of dollars_ some of it from donations made by followers — on more than 5,000 billboards and 20 RVs plastered with the Judgment Day message.

It was not the first time Camping was forced to explain when his prediction didn't come to pass. The 89-year-old retired civil engineer also prophesied the Apocalypse would come in 1994, but said later that didn't happen then because of a mathematical error. Rolleyes

Perhaps dude needs a new calculator. <bbg!>

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110524/ap_on_re_us/us_apocalypse_saturday">http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110524/ap_ ... e_saturday</a><!-- m -->
Yeeeah... Rolleyes this is getting old. The dude doesn't need a calculator - he needs a Bible, so he can look up the part about "not knowing the hour or the day"....
You had to know that he was simply going to push the date out again. It is part of this end of the world mindset. (on the left or the right)

For instance, the United Nations predicted "50 million climate refugees" by this year due to raising sea levels. Costal lands swept away. Entire islands disappear into the ocean... mass starvation, etc. Well when the disaster never happened and populations actually grew in those areas, the UN did not say they were wrong, they only set the date out another 10 years.

To paraphrase and English expression, SSDD- Same 'Stuff' Different Decade

(Original prediction- 2005)
Fifty million climate refugees by 2010.
Today we find a world of asymmetric development, unsustainable natural resource use, and continued rural and urban poverty. There is general agreement about the current global environmental and development crisis. It is also known that the consequences of these global changes have the most devastating impacts on the poorest, who historically have had limited entitlements and opportunities for growth.

New prediction:

50 million 'environmental refugees' by 2020, experts say

By Karin Zeitvogel (AFP) – Feb 21, 2011

WASHINGTON — Fifty million "environmental refugees" will flood into the global north by 2020, fleeing food shortages sparked by climate change, experts warned at a major science conference that ended here Monday....

[url]Read more: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://dailycaller.com/2011/04/16/the-un-disappears-50-million-climate-refugees-then-botches-the-cover-up/#ixzz1NIVfmuLp">http://dailycaller.com/2011/04/16/the-u ... z1NIVfmuLp</a><!-- m -->[/url]

No doubt, both proponents will be using their doomsday predictions to ask for money.
Funnily enough I discussed this issue a while back on another forum. I went to the original source and discovered what it really said. One thing it pointed out was that at the last estimation date, 1995 I think, there had already been more than half of those. Last year alone in just China and Pakistan there were more than 25 million environmental refugees (from floods) - in other words, the "2010" prediction was 100% true.
Just read your link. Wow. In the original data that map isn't even connected to the "50 million" claim. That's journalistic dishonesty at it's worst.

Ahhh ... now I see it was written by Anthony Watts. No more need be said to anyone whose looked into climate change research and politics.
[Image: chart2.jpg]

Here is a Google cache of the website page after the UN tried to pull down the map.

They call it a "graphic illustration" versus a "map."

Is that your point?

It seems this author in this instance has more credibility than the UN, who made the doomsday prediction to begin with.
ibofightback Wrote:...in other words, the "2010" prediction was 100% true.

... which is why scientists had to push the prediction out for another 10 years. Right! Rolleyes

The key is to keep the alarmist prediction far enough away so that people will eventually forget you made them, but close enough to show dire urgency so you can ask for money.
The UN made no such "doomsday prediction". First of all, this study, and page, wasn't even about AGW.

Here's the 2005 paper this is based on -

Environmental Refugees: an emergent security issue

Note that it states that the last assessment, in 1995, already calculated an estimated 25 million climate refugees -

As far back as 1995 (latest date for a comprehensive assessment), these
environmental refugees totalled at least 25 million people, compared with 27 million
traditional refugees (people fleeing political oppression, religious persecution and
ethnic troubles). The environmental refugees total could well double between 1995
and 2010

It was not a "global warming" paper other than to state that it will get worse when it's effect become apparent.

As I already pointed out, there were more than 25 million environmental refugees in 2010 alone. The prediction came true.

As for the Feb 2011 quote, it appears to have been from a discussion symposium. The speaker quoted does not work for the UN nor represent the UN, she was merely mentioning some data. I think it's likely she was thinking of this 2005 paper, which was cited on that UN webpage (again, NOT about anthropogenic global warming) and simply misquoted it. Not her paper, not her field, not representing the UN. Precisely the type of quote Anthony Watts likes to leap on.
Deb Wrote:Yeeeah... Rolleyes this is getting old. The dude doesn't need a calculator - he needs a Bible, so he can look up the part about "not knowing the hour or the day"....

If I remember correctly, back in the day when I devoutly studied "Christianity", during bible study they mentioned that nowhere in the "Christian" bible does it mention that the the lives of humans will ever end on planet earth.
Back to the OP - maybe the Preacher man had the "mode" wrong - instead of the earth ending by earthquake - it appears we're going to be nibbled to death by tornadoes :bye: Confusedhock: