Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Queen She came to call on us
The Queen She came to call on us,
She wanted to see all of us,
She found Herself blocked from us,
By a ring of steel,

She asked the Garda band to play the wearin of the Green,
But the sound from the trumpets was God save the Queen.

The Irish nation welcomed the Queen of England and She didn't disappoint - welcome Your Majesty and Cead Mile Failte.
It's a great day for the Irish but an even better day for the Brits - let's hope She enjoys the rest of Her visit.
'The only way I can succeed in business is to proactively do something for 'MY BUSINESS' every day'
I look to the Future - for the Future is where I'm going to spend the rest of my Life
I don't know how she could walk away from the pint of Guinness!
Great song, RW1! That will probably make into the tradition. Too bad Ronnie Drew has passed. :cry: I can hear him sing it with the Dubliners!

I've enjoyed listening to news of the Queen's visit on my public radio station. There's some good healing happening. :good:
Day 3 of Her Majesty's visit and I must say - other than the fact the people can't get a close enough look at her - everything is going well - :thumbsup:
'The only way I can succeed in business is to proactively do something for 'MY BUSINESS' every day'
I look to the Future - for the Future is where I'm going to spend the rest of my Life
That must be pretty exciting?! The closest thing we have to a Queen is Oprah, I guess?? Hardly the same thing.....

I remember getting all excited to see Princess Anne's husband competing in Equestrian Events at the Kentucky Horse Park, like a million years ago Big Grin
Deb Wrote:That must be pretty exciting?! The closest thing we have to a Queen is Oprah, I guess?? Hardly the same thing.....

It actually has little to do with the celebrity factor. This is such big news because Ireland and Britain have had so much tension between them for so many years. This is an historical event--of reconciliation. It almost brings me to tears (of joy). My Irish heritage is pretty important to me. I'm a mix of several northern European ethnicities, but I'm most proud of my Irish blood--from my great-grandpa Gannon on my Dad's side.
ajgannon Wrote:
Deb Wrote:That must be pretty exciting?! The closest thing we have to a Queen is Oprah, I guess?? Hardly the same thing.....

It actually has little to do with the celebrity factor. This is such big news because Ireland and Britain have had so much tension between them for so many years. This is an historical event--of reconciliation. It almost brings me to tears (of joy). My Irish heritage is pretty important to me. I'm a mix of several northern European ethnicities, but I'm most proud of my Irish blood--from my great-grandpa Gannon on my Dad's side.

Thanks, AJ! Reconciliation is good :yahoo: But I guess I assumed the Queen wouldn't have been such a stranger to Ireland - in MY mind, saying the Queen went to Ireland is like saying Obama went to Canada :dontknow: I apologize to my friends-across-the-pond for not being more aware....
Well Her Majesty and the Duke have left for home :wave: :wave: - I think she had a great visit and the people of Cork City gave her a fantastic send off - let's hope it's not her last visit. We showed her the best of Irish and she couldn't help smiling - in fact on Her visit to the English Market in Cork City she was laughing at the jokes and Cork wit. :wave: :wave: