Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Judgment Day: May 21st.."
MichMan Wrote:
* MAY 14, 2011

May 21 And The Enduring Appeal of the Apocalypse

Why are prophecies of doom so commonplace in human history? The answer lies in the brain's evolution

...Religionists (do not) hold a monopoly on forecasting the end of days. There are secular versions as well, from Karl Marx's certainty about the approaching demise of capitalism to various modern doomsday scenarios involving overpopulation, resource depletion, nuclear winter, Y2K, solar flares, super volcanoes and, of course, global warming.

Why are such apocalyptic prophecies so common in human history? What are their emotional and cognitive underpinnings?

In most doomsday scenarios, destruction is followed by redemption, giving us a sense of both fear and hope. The ostensible "end" is usually seen as a transition to a new beginning and a better life to come. For religionists, God destroys Satan and sinners and resurrects the virtuous. For the secular-minded, humanity atones for its sins through political, economic or ideological enlightenment.

Marxists saw communism as the liberating climax of a multistage evolutionary process. Environmentalists usually conclude their forecasts of calamity with earnest recommendations for how to save the planet. Or consider John Galt, the hero of Ayn Rand's anticollectivist novel "Atlas Shrugged" and an inspiration for many of today's tea-party activists. In the book's final apocalyptic scene, the heroine Dagny Taggart turns to Galt and pronounces, "It's the end." He corrects her: "It's the beginning."

snip ........................

—Mr. Shermer is the publisher of Skeptic magazine and a monthly columnist for Scientific American. The latest of his many books, "The Believing Brain: From Ghosts and Gods to Politics and Conspiracies," will be published later this month.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424...lenews_wsj

This comment is aimed at the groups the article speaks about: Some ppl have way-y-y too much time on their hands. :eek:

I hear the TOD (time of departure) 2night is 6pm. That is what my church is saying. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Multimillionaire Wrote:
I hear the TOD (time of departure) 2night is 6pm. That is what my church is saying. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

So are ya still here?? Wink
[attachment=0]

Attached Files

.jpg   No one knows.JPG (Size: 63.95 KB / Downloads: 173)
Deb Wrote:
Multimillionaire Wrote:

So are ya still here?? Wink

I can't believe how fast the internet is up here!
MichMan Wrote:I can't believe how fast the internet is up here!

LOL

I called my wife shortly after 6.

I said (in one of the few examples where it seemed only the F-bomb would do) and said, "Well, either there was no rapture, or we're both F---ed!"
Wearyeyed Wrote:
MichMan Wrote:I can't believe how fast the internet is up here!

LOL

I called my wife shortly after 6.

I said (in one of the few examples where it seemed only the F-bomb would do) and said, "Well, either there was no rapture, or we're both F---ed!"

lol

My facebook post Sunday:

"All the good people were raptured yesterday. And all my friends are reading this post."
Wearyeyed Wrote:I said (in one of the few examples where it seemed only the F-bomb would do) and said, "Well, either there was no rapture, or we're both F---ed!"

That pretty much sums it up!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: