Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Judgment Day: May 21st.."
"Participants in a movement that is proselytizing that the world will end on May 21, Judgment Day, gather on a street corner, May 13, 2011, in New York City. The Christian based movement, which claims thousands of supporters around the world, was founded by the Oakland, Calif. It is lead by Harold Camping. He is president of Family Stations Inc., a religious broadcasting network that promotes the belief that May 21, 2011 is Judgment Day. Camping claims to have come to this date by a deep and complex study of religious texts. He was wrong on his prior end-of-the-world prediction in 1994."

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/">http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/</a><!-- m -->

I absolutely adore groups like these! <sarcasm emphasized> :grin:

I admit, I do not believe, or agree with their "spin doctor" fear-factor styled approach that the 'world is going to end on May 21', **however** these charlatan's need no outside help to discredit themselves. Whomever is participating in this demonstration / communication reminds me of something the late PT Barnum said (paraphrased) ... there's a sucker born every minute. Sad

"Chicken Little the Sky Is Falling!"

On a serious note: If groups like these want their religion to be taken seriously, "drama queen"...." street theater" demonstrations / bids for attention like these do not generate credibility for their faith. They remind me of the Y2K crowd.
Just to make it clear: This group in NO WAY represents all Christians.

This organization (and their May 21st Judgment Day belief) is NOT supported by any of the major Christian denominations.

Just as Islam had radical crazies that claim their teaching is the real Islam, this group is a group of radical crazies who claim their Christianity is the real Christianity.But, in both cases it isn't.
The thing that scares me about these "This is definitely the end of the world" folks is that they do stuff like give away their assets - thinking "they'll no longer need them, right"? Confusedcratch:

I'm also pretty sure the Bible says we'll "not know the day, or the hour...." etc. What makes these people think they're so smart?? :rotfl:

Personally, I'm planning to go kayaking on May 22nd.....
Yes, I see your point. One point that I failed to mention in my original posting is that folks like these show how powerful and frightening mind-control / mental programming can be, and that ppl can be programmed to believe, and promote the most deranged things. "They" remind me of the propaganda that some in religion still use today. Sad

Deb, I hope you have fun kayaking. I hope it's a warm day, Smile
But even with the rapture free enterprise marches on

Meanwhile, I'll be enjoying Sicily on rapture day Smile
ibofightback Wrote:But even with the rapture free enterprise marches on

Unbelievable! That's also really funny. It's also inspiring evidence that there are no shortage of new business ideas. I wonder if they have made any sales to crazy people.

What search term or phrase did you use in order to find that site?
ibofightback Wrote:But even with the rapture free enterprise marches on

OMG!!! That's brilliant/hilarious :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
ajgannon Wrote:What search term or phrase did you use in order to find that site?

I hang around a forum that's full of heathens Smile It was shared there.
ibofightback Wrote:
ajgannon Wrote:What search term or phrase did you use in order to find that site?

I hang around a forum that's full of heathens Smile It was shared there.

Interesting forum....now I see where you get your material / opinions. lol :grin:

* MAY 14, 2011

May 21 And The Enduring Appeal of the Apocalypse

Why are prophecies of doom so commonplace in human history? The answer lies in the brain's evolution

...Religionists (do not) hold a monopoly on forecasting the end of days. There are secular versions as well, from Karl Marx's certainty about the approaching demise of capitalism to various modern doomsday scenarios involving overpopulation, resource depletion, nuclear winter, Y2K, solar flares, super volcanoes and, of course, global warming.

Why are such apocalyptic prophecies so common in human history? What are their emotional and cognitive underpinnings?

In most doomsday scenarios, destruction is followed by redemption, giving us a sense of both fear and hope. The ostensible "end" is usually seen as a transition to a new beginning and a better life to come. For religionists, God destroys Satan and sinners and resurrects the virtuous. For the secular-minded, humanity atones for its sins through political, economic or ideological enlightenment.

Marxists saw communism as the liberating climax of a multistage evolutionary process. Environmentalists usually conclude their forecasts of calamity with earnest recommendations for how to save the planet. Or consider John Galt, the hero of Ayn Rand's anticollectivist novel "Atlas Shrugged" and an inspiration for many of today's tea-party activists. In the book's final apocalyptic scene, the heroine Dagny Taggart turns to Galt and pronounces, "It's the end." He corrects her: "It's the beginning."

snip ........................

—Mr. Shermer is the publisher of Skeptic magazine and a monthly columnist for Scientific American. The latest of his many books, "The Believing Brain: From Ghosts and Gods to Politics and Conspiracies," will be published later this month.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424...lenews_wsj