Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the verdict on Tablets?
I may finally go in for a tablet. I’ve been skeptical, thinking they’re big smartphones, or crippled laptops.

I’ve been rethinking that. I see it as a great way to declutter my life. Reduce paper waste, print less, go green, less sticky notes, etc.

I’ve been getting increasingly minimalist anyway.

1. Print cabapility.
2. Wi-Fi only option, I will not pay for yet another data plan, when I'm paying for a cellphone, and for DSL internet.
3. HDMI output.
4. E-Reader capability: Capability to read PDF files and also tread magazine articles or books (and ideally highlight).
5. Has a GPS.
6. Available for around $500 (new or used).
7. 10". For me 7" is too small.

If a tablet satisfies the above criteria, I'll finally jump in.

One last question -- for someone all-in with google (gmail, google calendar, etc), does integration into iPad or non-Android tablet platforms work fine?
I want (even need!) a tablet, but am yet to find one that has the features I want at a reasonable price point. Actually, the features I want a pretty much the same as yours! I can set my cellphone as a wifi point with a single click, so wifi only is the way to go for me as well.

I think one requirement is that it can play powerpoint effectively, for use during one on one presentations. I think it could be an excellent plan showing and follow-up tool.

I don't like the proprietorial nature of iPad - and I hate itunes! - so I'll probably wait for a decent Android 3.0 tablet. You never know, by then Microsoft might even have their mythical tablet OS ready and they'll be some other choices too.
ibofightback Wrote:I want (even need!) a tablet, but am yet to find one that has the features I want at a reasonable price point. Actually, the features I want a pretty much the same as yours! I can set my cellphone as a wifi point with a single click, so wifi only is the way to go for me as well.

I think one requirement is that it can play powerpoint effectively, for use during one on one presentations. I think it could be an excellent plan showing and follow-up tool.

I don't like the proprietorial nature of iPad - and I hate itunes! - so I'll probably wait for a decent Android 3.0 tablet. You never know, by then Microsoft might even have their mythical tablet OS ready and they'll be some other choices too.

Yeah, I don't want to route everything through itunes. Used Xooms are selling at $750, too high. An Ipad 2 is $499 wifi only (but with itunes mandatory, and no GPS):
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://computers.shop.ebay.com/iPads-Tablets-/171485/i.html?rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3000&_nkw=motorola%20xoom&_catref=1&_dmpt=US_Tablets&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282">http://computers.shop.ebay.com/iPads-Ta ... 86.c0.m282</a><!-- m -->
an HTC Flyer 10" when it gets released would probably be my first choice, but not at the price they're going to be selling at.
Not an iTunes nor Apple fanboy, but using my Android phone as a WiFi hotspot, combined with wireless printing support, and successful integration across 4 different platforms (WM, WHS, Android, and Apple OS) for calendar and contacts syncing with my home-based e-mail server, I have been quite happy with my 1st gen iPad.

See no need for more, wasn't as satisfied with less, and Amway's iPhone app has been useful on several occasions.

Just my 2-cents.
mmm, it's frankly irritating that Amway (and network 21 for that matter) are so enamoured with a smart phone that's third in US smartphone market share and even less elsewhere. Even a year ago in the US Android and iPhone were almost level pegging, now Android is well ahead - still no Amway US android app!
ibofightback Wrote:I don't like the proprietorial nature of iPad - and I hate itunes! -

Smooch!! I'm glad to see someone I consider very tech-savvy say that! I HATE itunes :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Here's my question to you folks: I'm typing this on my $279 10" netbook. For the life of me, I can't understand why one would want to correspond without a keyboard???? Yeah - my netbook is heavier than my daughter's Ipad.... but the screen is protected when closed; and it supports itself in an upright position all by itself.
Deb Wrote:
ibofightback Wrote:I don't like the proprietorial nature of iPad - and I hate itunes! -

Smooch!! I'm glad to see someone I consider very tech-savvy say that! I HATE itunes :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Here's my question to you folks: I'm typing this on my $279 10" netbook. For the life of me, I can't understand why one would want to correspond without a keyboard???? Yeah - my netbook is heavier than my daughter's Ipad.... but the screen is protected when closed; and it supports itself in an upright position all by itself.

As i see a tablet, it is not really for creating or storing content. I see it as a tool to consume, enjoy, review, and share content. And to do so easily and quickly.

This is why I'm cooling on my initial "tablets are large cellphones" position.

A tablet (at least an iPad) is about as light as a pocket folder. I'd browse a forum, but probably wouldn't post on a forum with it.
I want one primarily as a calendar/diary/folder full of papers replacement, for browsing the web, and for reading large format books (Kindle is better for regular paperbacks). One reason I like the HTC Flyer is that as well as the touch screen it comes with a stylus, which would be great for quick not taking.

What I really would have liked is the Microsoft Courier, but they axed it Sad. Probably couldn't get it down to a price that anyone would actually be willing to pay.
I have the Asus Transformer and it meets everything on the list. There's supposed to be a Lenovo one though, that has everything the Transformer has, plus a few features (including a stylus!). I'd recommend the Lenovo one.