Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Women of Amway' Achieve Magazine Feature
The latest Achieve just arrived in my mailbox today. Online version not yet up. Anyone else read it?

I wrote a blog post on it...
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://bridgettbridgett.blogspot.com/2010/12/amway-equal-opportunity-business.html">http://bridgettbridgett.blogspot.com/20 ... iness.html</a><!-- m -->
Nice blog, Bridgett! That just about brought tears to my eyes :cry: Tears of happiness. For SO DARN LONG, the men were given "business building opportunities" with their AMO uplines - while the girls got to go shopping with the upline's wife. Bleagh.

Sorry folks: WTF? (Yeah Multimillionaire - now I'm ANGRY :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: ) Wink

While the Corporation has always been supportive (I felt) of women building the business - it was not always so within the AMO groups. I'm SO glad they are discarding the 1950's attitude of the wife-behind-the-scenes..... :glare:
Deb Wrote:Nice blog, Bridgett! That just about brought tears to my eyes :cry: Tears of happiness. For SO DARN LONG, the men were given "business building opportunities" with their AMO uplines - while the girls got to go shopping with the upline's wife. Bleagh.

Sorry folks: WTF? (Yeah Multimillionaire - now I'm ANGRY :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: ) Wink

While the Corporation has always been supportive (I felt) of women building the business - it was not always so within the AMO groups. I'm SO glad they are discarding the 1950's attitude of the wife-behind-the-scenes..... :glare:

I don't know if all are discarding that attitude, hence my blog post. :grin:
Bridgett Wrote:I don't know if all are discarding that attitude, hence my blog post. :grin:

If they're SMART they will :grin:
Quote:from Bridgett's Blog: How (Holly Chen with her husband, Barry Chi) have built their business is directly opposite the gender roles that all too many organizations have long imposed on couples--hubby shows the business opportunity and mentors while wifey focuses on retail.

Given the fact that other direct-selling business opportunities are women-centric, I understand why some in the Amway community wish to focus heavily on men. On top of that, Amway was founded as a partnership of two men--Rich DeVos and Jay Van Andel.

One of Rich's videos that was posted recently told a story of the two of them coming home from a seminar. They stopped for gas and sold a box of Nutrilite to the gas station owner.

Two things stood out to me. First it was Rich and Jay who sold the product, not Helen and Betty. Secondly, they didn't contact with the curiosity approach. They led with the product and made made an immediate profit. ("You know what that is- it's the money left over at the end of the month after you have paid all your expenses." Wink )
MichMan Wrote:One of Rich's videos that was posted recently told a story of the two of them coming home from a seminar. They stopped for gas and sold a box of Nutrilite to the gas station owner.

Two things stood out to me. First it was Rich and Jay who sold the product, not Helen and Betty. )

OK - but you have to qualify this with "Helen and Betty are good CRC girls". Not only in that generation did women accept being the "good wives behind their men" - but their church raised them that way, too.

This is a new(ish) century.

A common thread I used to find amongst ex-IBOs was that the "wife/girlfriend thought it was a scam" and wouldn't participate. Or - if the husband/boyfriend persisted in the business - they often came close to divorce. Or did divorce/split up.

We women are intuitive creatures - even if a woman doesn't grasp the business concept - she can still spot a snake-oil salesman. The SMART IBO will treat every woman likes she's a potential Holly Chen :thumbsup:
I simply thought it was interesting that Rich and Jay did not practice the philosophy that retailing was the "wifey" thing to do.

They did it themselves. :thumbsup:
MichMan Wrote:I simply thought it was interesting that Rich and Jay did not practice the philosophy that retailing was the "wifey" thing to do.

OK - gotcha!
You can download the newest issue of Achieve magazine here.
MichMan Wrote:I simply thought it was interesting that Rich and Jay did not practice the philosophy that retailing was the "wifey" thing to do.

Well...who else would do it? They were each other's partner in Nutrilite and then Amway. Their wives were not their business partners. So it's all very curious to me how this husband/wife partnership "mandate" (amongst some support organizations) evolved.

Just to be clear, I'm not down on husband/wife partnerships. And I do think that a power couple, in any industry, is great. I just believe that the Amway business is an opportunity for everyone, regardless of gender, maritial status, and whether or not your spouse (husband or wife) is also participating.