Hello There, Guest!

• Next 
  •  
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Religious Freedom" crosses the line??
I am simply stunned that one lunatic (Terry Jones - I can't even bring myself to call him Reverend) can have the entire world uptight with his threat to burn Q'urans this Saturday. Yes, we have Freedom of Religion in this country - but I'm not sure that gives us the right to inflame an entire religion. A quick scan of the Gainesville Craig's List Rants and Raves implies this guy is a publicity-seeker; and if true - he sure knows how to get THAT :rant:

There was another quack church leader who liked to protest at the funerals of fallen US Soldiers - until a law was passed preventing that. Are we going to have to pass a law every time some nut job tries to get his name on TV??
There's can be a lesson in such things though. An interesting oped -

You aren't responsible for Quran burners. Don't hold Muslims responsible for 9/11.
You know my take on the subject from your Facebook post...

But, I want to add that if there be a "double-standard" or oxymoronic perspective on this issue, it's not like you have to look any closer than a religious follower taking inflammatory action to protest the poor behavior of followers of another religion.

Still, in the end, the biggest violation of human decency won't be the Pastor's actions, or even any ensuing violence...it is the irresponsible media and the controversy-loving public that made the Bible-que bigger than the potato-sack jumping event it should have been...

"Hey, HEY! With 50 of my parishioners, we're gonna' burn the Quran in protest of Islamic extremism!"

"That'll show 'em <roll eyes>...So, what are you doing when you get off work?" Cool
Wearyeyed Wrote:Still, in the end, the biggest violation of human decency won't be the Pastor's actions, or even any ensuing violence...it is the irresponsible media and the controversy-loving public that made the Bible-que bigger than the potato-sack jumping event it should have been...

It is amazing that a knucklehead nobody can become famous overnight through media coverage. However, your stance that the media coverage is more indecent than the Pastor's insensitive plans, or "even any ensuing violence", seems extreme to me. Is there a role for the media to expose such a moron, so that the world can appropriately respond? I was impressed how conservative and liberal politicians/celebrities/groups alike all were in unison with their condemnation of the Quran burning event. With the speed that media blows like the wind in the electronic/Internet age, a little spark can turn into a raging fire in no time. I mean, I don't think it necessarily demands a media feeding frenzy for an inflammatory event to catch the world's attention.
ajgannon Wrote:
Wearyeyed Wrote:Still, in the end, the biggest violation of human decency won't be the Pastor's actions, or even any ensuing violence...it is the irresponsible media and the controversy-loving public that made the Bible-que bigger than the potato-sack jumping event it should have been...

It is amazing that a knucklehead nobody can become famous overnight through media coverage. However, your stance that the media coverage is more indecent than the Pastor's insensitive plans, or "even any ensuing violence", seems extreme to me. Is there a role for the media to expose such a moron, so that the world can appropriately respond? I was impressed how conservative and liberal politicians/celebrities/groups alike all were in unison with their condemnation of the Quran burning event. With the speed that media blows like the wind in the electronic/Internet age, a little spark can turn into a raging fire in no time. I mean, I don't think it necessarily demands a media feeding frenzy for an inflammatory event to catch the world's attention.

No, you are correct. My comment was meant to highlight the absurdity of *every* angle.

Thuth is that *any* position regarding this issue is a position vying for top billing as "the most important point" of a situation that deserves no such attention...by any "involved" party.

Or, to put it more succinctly, it's only as relevant as it is made to be.

It is nothing on it's own.
Why exactly are we so fearful of how *certain* Muslims will respond when one is disrespectful to their book or their prophet?

No one seems to give a rat's a$$ about Christians' response when one is disrespectful to their book, their God Jesus. No one fears for their lives.

Oh no, we call it Freedom of Speech and Artistic Expression when it has to do with Christianity or any other non-Islamic religion.

Fear, fear, fear, fear.

Interesting.
Bridgett Wrote:No one seems to give a rat's a$$ about Christians' response when one is disrespectful to their book, their God Jesus. No one fears for their lives.

That may have to do with different religious views about the nature of each "holy book", but there's certainly been plenty of death threats against muslims over the islamic cultural center in NY, not to mention the death threats and actual murders of doctors at abortion clinics, again religiously justified. And gallery officials certainly received death threats over Piss Christ

Also interesting to look at historical cycles. In the 15th century the Ottoman empire was a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, tolerant technologically evolved society. Christians were running the Spanish Inquisition.
ibofightback Wrote:
Bridgett Wrote:No one seems to give a rat's a$$ about Christians' response when one is disrespectful to their book, their God Jesus. No one fears for their lives.

That may have to do with different religious views about the nature of each "holy book", but there's certainly been plenty of death threats against muslims over the islamic cultural center in NY, not to mention the death threats and actual murders of doctors at abortion clinics, again religiously justified. And gallery officials certainly received death threats over Piss Christ

Also interesting to look at historical cycles. In the 15th century the Ottoman empire was a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, tolerant technologically evolved society. Christians were running the Spanish Inquisition.

Back to what I said:

No one seems to fear for their lives, when someone plans, or is indeed disrespectful to Jesus or the Bible. People of different faiths, have been operating out of fear with this Qur'an-burning media stunt.
Bridgett Wrote:People of different faiths, have been operating out of fear with this Qur'an-burning media stunt.

I'd go so far as to say people of different faiths have been operating out of fear regarding Islam in general; that's part of what precipitated the BBQ in the first-place.
Bridgett Wrote:Back to what I said:

No one seems to fear for their lives, when someone plans, or is indeed disrespectful to Jesus or the Bible. People of different faiths, have been operating out of fear with this Qur'an-burning media stunt.

Back to what I said: people have received death threats for being "disrespectful to Jesus". I vividly remember the "piss christ" episode, the gallery folk needed police protection.
  • Next 
  •