Hello There, Guest!

• Next 
  •  
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jerry Harteis Speaks- Amway Took Mom's Business
Orrin Woodward wrote: "Jerry Harteis recently sent me an email outlining the disappointing behavior of Amway corporate. Joe Harteis (Jerry's brother) desired to sell his business to his mother and eventually join MonaVie after sitting out the six month per the contract. Joe had a good sized business that would have produced income for his mom. Read the email below to see what happened instead."

Link here: http://orrinwoodward.blogharbor.com/

Jerry Harteis wrote: My brother Joe was terminated by Amway for asking his people if they would like to buy some MonaVie from his daughter, who is involved with MV. Now Joe was personally sponsored by my 90 yr. Old mother. She has been very active with Amway since they started in 1977. In fact they were recognized as commercial distributors of the year. Therefore there is no question of her competence. She is a widow and as you can imagine depends on the $ from Amway to help her to get along. Also it gives her peace knowing that she has a place to be productive and is rewarded for that effort. When she started back in 1977 she was told that should anyone that they personally sponsored, leave the business, that their business would just move upline. So when Joe was abruptly terminated my mom, Ruth, who raised 14 children, felt that the business that she helped Joe to build would naturally move up to her. Since she had personal relationships with those people it would only make sense to do this. However, after not receiving bonuses on my brother Joe's group, she placed a call to Amway to inquire. She told me that they decided to move that business upline to Brett Deimler, who has taken over the organization. When she asked why this was being done, she told me they replied 'because we have decided to do it that way'. No reasoning, no recourse, no explanation, just we've decided. Now those 30 years she spent being loyal and doing millions of dollars worth of business are wiped away by simply saying 'we just decided to'. I am still pursuing this issue for her so we may be able to resolve it.

Jerry
I will say it again.

IBOs need a organization that will help them stand up against Amway lawyers. The IBOAI does NOT represent rank and file IBOs.

Gramma Harteis' only option is a several years long loser pay arbitration process with a multi-billion corporation that has trained the arbitrators. At 90 years old, you have to wonder if she has the energy to fight the company. If Amway drags out the arbitration as long as they have in the past, you also have to wonder if she will even survive the years long process.
I will say it again -

There's always at least two sides to every story.

You always seem remarkably quick to accept just one side, MichMan.
I have not "accepted" Gramma Harteis' story as fact. The only thing I said, which IS a fact, is this: The IBOAI needs to get involved and represent rank and file IBOs, not just the Diamond leaders.

How is a 90 woman, who just lost a major portion of her income, supposed to afford 5 years of arbitration expenses to fight Amway?

Like the judge said, the process could not be stacked more in Amway's favor than it is now.
Michman, I'm curious as to how you know so much about the internal machinations of the IBOAI?

Do they make some public announcements of the cases they work on that I'm not aware of?
If the IBOAI has a successful record of representing IBOs when the corp oversteps it'b bounds, maybe YOU should elaborate.

And if the IBOAI is helpig Mrs. Harteis, let them say so.
MichMan Wrote:And if the IBOAI is helpig Mrs. Harteis, let them say so.

Why?
Bridgett Wrote:

Why?

What trade association would NOT want to tell it's members what it is doing to help them?

Wouldn't a union want other union members to know that is helping one of their own? Wouldn't an association of lawyers or accountants be proud of the fact they they successfully defended one of their own?

I own a franchise. We have a franchise owners association that offers advice and assistance when issues arise with the franchisor. You can call the association any day of the week and hear about what it is doing to help individual franchisees who are having problems with the franchisor.
Bridgett Wrote:

Why?

Here is why...

From Chuck Lia' Speaking of Amway.

http://speakingofamway.com/blog/2008/06/...statesmen/

I reached the conclusion that what our business really needs more than anything else today, on both the IBO and the company level, is a few more “statesmen,” men with chests who will stand up for basic principles that affect the entire business regardless of the personal fallout, men who will properly represent the interests of Amway and all IBOs.

Beyond that, the secondary interest of the IBOAI should be Amway itself. If the IBOAI’s primary interest should be Amway, as some have argued, then who or what would protect the interests of IBOs as a primary matter? Independent blogs? Can anyone imagine the Chevrolet Dealers Association or the National Automobile Dealers Association representing the interests of Chevrolet or another manufacturer ahead of the interests of the dealers themselves? I can assure you, the automobile dealers would find that laughable, and would likely remove and replace anyone on the dealers’ board who thought differently. As an aside, do you think the dealers association would be interested in issues that affected an individual dealer? I called one state association personally to find out and the answer was “Of course we would.”
The thought that first struck me when I read Orrin's blog entry is, that isn't fair. The second thought that struck me was, why did Jerry and Grandma first realize that all the ducks weren't in their rows when the checks stopped coming in? Did Jerry communicate with Amway Global ahead of time to make sure everything was handled properly before he resigned? Were all the proper paperwork and legal documents filed? Or did Jerry see the MonaVie ship pulling out of the harbor with all his TEAM-mates aboard, and hastily took the leap?

Anyways, I do hope that the situation works out in Grandma Harteis' favor.
  • Next 
  •