Amway Talk
Utoya survivor speaks. Listen. - Printable Version

+- Amway Talk (http://www.amwaytalk.com)
+-- Forum: Anything Goes (http://www.amwaytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Forum: Current Affairs (http://www.amwaytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Utoya survivor speaks. Listen. (/showthread.php?tid=1419)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Utoya survivor speaks. Listen. - ibofightback - 2011-07-24

Stine Renate HÃ¥heim is a 27yr old Norwegian politician and a survivor of Friday's Utoya massacre.

http://www.vgtv.no/#!id=42454

Re: Utoya survivor speaks. Listen. - roguetadhg - 2011-07-25

Im totally out of the loop of what happened. I've seen a city background with the norway, now I see a island (?) and they're talking about it. From my first impression, i thought it was a bombing.

Re: Utoya survivor speaks. Listen. - ibofightback - 2011-07-25

roguetadhg Wrote:Im totally out of the loop of what happened. I've seen a city background with the norway, now I see a island (?) and they're talking about it. From my first impression, i thought it was a bombing.

Sorry, but I find it astonishing that anyone in the civilised world can be unaware of what happened. Is it not getting wall to wall media (incl. internet) coverage in the US? It should be.

Major car bomb outside the government building in Oslo, at least 7 dead. Bomber then went to an island where a labour party youth conference was being held, and shot at killed at leas 80 youth before being apprehended.

Re: Utoya survivor speaks. Listen. - Reading - 2011-07-25

The coverage is all over the U.S. On the front page of The Washington Post and New York Times (print and web) since it happened. It’s so hard to absorb…much less accept.
My condolences…(pitiful little words hardly say it…)

Re: Utoya survivor speaks. Listen. - Deb - 2011-07-25

ibofightback Wrote:Sorry, but I find it astonishing that anyone in the civilised world can be unaware of what happened. Is it not getting wall to wall media (incl. internet) coverage in the US? It should be.

Major car bomb outside the government building in Oslo, at least 7 dead. Bomber then went to an island where a labour party youth conference was being held, and shot at killed at leas 80 youth before being apprehended.

I think the very first reports in the US made it sound like the bombing killed all the people - but then more info trickled in..... the horror is incomprehensible. I realize that many civilized countries think we in the USA are all a gun-toting bunch of thugs.... but it sounds like the killer had a LONG time to play "Shooting Gallery" with a lot of defenseless and innocent victims. It's pretty easy to take aim when nobody's shooting back at you :-(

Re: Utoya survivor speaks. Listen. - ibofightback - 2011-07-25

Yes, he was a gutless coward. His "manifesto" is all full of martyrdom and plans to die in a firefight with police, but as soon as they challenged him he gave up. :rant:

I have close emotional connections to Norway. There are no words ...

Re: Utoya survivor speaks. Listen. - Deb - 2011-07-25

My Great-Grandfather came across from Oslo - so yes, I have a long-distant love for Norway, also. But kooks/terrorists/bullies cross all borders and they come in all colors and creeds. The shooter had methodically planned this for months (years?) and used the cruelest kind of ammo (how many people bled out in the 2 hours it took the police to stop the guy?) - he ranks right up there with the Oklahoma City bombers and the Unabomber for "Home-grown terrorists". The truly sad part is that he's going to get out of jail in 21 years (the max sentence for any crime in Norway). Hopefully, the Norwegian Gov't will bend the rules for THIS guy.

Re: Utoya survivor speaks. Listen. - MichMan - 2011-07-26

It is truly heart wrenching to think about the grief that this deranged maniac has caused.

I too hope they can do better than 21-30 years in prison. The death penalty was created for monsters like this.

Re: Utoya survivor speaks. Listen. - Deb - 2011-07-26

I read in last night's paper that he started planning this almost 10 years ago Confusedhock: IMO - that takes the term "sociopath" to a whole new level - I question that someone this hardened/sick/deranged can ever be rehabilitated and he should NEVER be free again. Ever.

Re: Utoya survivor speaks. Listen. - ibofightback - 2011-07-26

Deb Wrote:My Great-Grandfather came across from Oslo - so yes, I have a long-distant love for Norway, also. But kooks/terrorists/bullies cross all borders and they come in all colors and creeds. The shooter had methodically planned this for months (years?) and used the cruelest kind of ammo (how many people bled out in the 2 hours it took the police to stop the guy?)

Actually the police had him in custody 61 minutes after the first call. Not bad for an isolated island with nearest land 40 minutes drive from Oslo and no police transport helicopter.

Quote:- he ranks right up there with the Oklahoma City bombers and the Unabomber for "Home-grown terrorists". The truly sad part is that he's going to get out of jail in 21 years (the max sentence for any crime in Norway). Hopefully, the Norwegian Gov't will bend the rules for THIS guy.

Sigh ... so sounds like the media there is trying to belitte poor old liberal Norway huh? He's not going to get out in 21 years. If he's charged with "crimes against humanity", which they are considering, the sentence is 30 years.

Even with either that or the 21 year sentence he can be kept in custody as long as he is considered a danger, with re-evaluations every 5 years once his sentence is up.

In other words he'll probably be in prison for the rest of his life.